Have you wonder how that other person, you know the co-worker that sits across the room from you or the guy that plays on your basketball team, has so much confidence? Maybe you’ve been saying to yourself, “I wish I had that kind of confidence!” Wish no longer, because in today’s edition of Motivational Mondays, here on Life Without Limits TV, we’re going to look at the psychology of confidence, how it’s created and how you can start building more self-confidence to you can accomplish any goal and succeed in life.
If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life. – Marcus Garvey, 1900’s Civil Rights Leader, Jamaica
Why get more confidence?
- So you can have better control and influence over the outcome of your actions
- so you can approach whatever task is in front of you without hesitation or anxiety
What does confidence really mean?
- Confidence is the belief in one’s ability to succeed
- Another definition, is that confidence is simply the degree to which you believe that your actions will result in a positive outcome.
- To the degree to which you think and feel about your belief in a given action will determine the outcome, positive or negative, of that action
What are some qualities of highly confident people
- They manage their outcome dependence. If the desired outcome is met, confident people choose to learn from the experience instead of choosing to take a negative outlook
- They assess themselves accurately. Not given to setting unrealistic expectations of themselves Self-honesty can go a long way
- They choose their activities carefully. Confident people knows why they’re confident. They know what they’re good at. You won’t find a highly confident person choosing an activity that they have no skill in.
- They develop their skills.
- They take action!
Next week, we’ll continue our look into how to build more self confidence by understanding how confidence is created and learn some practical ways to start building more self-confidence.